The Executive Board Secretariat, which is under the Deputy Executive Director portfolio, is the interface between the membership (Board Members and Observers) and the WFP Secretariat.
The WFP Secretariat is headed by the Executive Director, who is responsible and accountable to the Board for the administration of WFP and for the implementation of its programmes, projects and other activities. The Executive Director is responsible for the staffing and organization of the Secretariat.
The Executive Director is appointed for a five-year term of office by the Secretary-General of the United Nations and the Director-General of FAO, after consultation with the Executive Board. The procedure for appointing the Executive Director also applies to reappointment, which may not be for more than one further term.
The Executive Director is responsible for providing services to the Board, assisted by the Executive Board Secretariat.
The Executive Board Secretariat also facilitates the relationship between the Board and other governing bodies and facilitates the meetings of the WFP Audit Committee by providing secretariat support.
The Secretary to the Executive Board leads a team of staff that, among other things:
- organizes Board sessions;
- coordinates Bureau meetings;
- organizes consultations on topics relevant to the Board and the WFP Secretariat;
- translates Board documents into the official languages;
- provides official records of Board-related meetings;
- ensures simultaneous interpretation into the official languages during Board sessions and consultations;
- facilitates the organization of field visits by Board members; and
- assists Board delegates with any information as requested.