Of the Board's 36 members, 18 are elected by the Economic and Social Council and 18 by the FAO Council. Each State Member serves a three-year term and is eligible for re-election. Elections by the Economic and Social Council are normally held in May and those by the FAO Council in November. The broader WFP membership includes both Board members and observers.
A complete list of State Members may be found in Appendix A of the General Rules and Regulations; a description of the distribution of seats may be found in Appendix B of the same document.
Composition of the Members of the Board in 2015
Elected by the FAO Council
Elected by ECOSOC
Term of office expiring (1)
United States of America
Republic of Korea (3)
31 December 2015
| Burundi |
31 December 2016
| Australia |
Iran (Islamic Republic of) (5)
| 31 December 2017 || |
ECOSOC elections for the three-year term 2015/2016/2017 took place on 23 April, 18 November 2014 and 4 March 2015. The FAO Council elections for the same three-year term took place on 3 December 2014.
(1) Term of office relates to the standard three-year periods for which Members are elected by ECOSOC or FAO Council respectively. State Members may stand down for one or two years within this period, offering their seat to another State Member.
(2) Brazil and Guatemala had reached an agreement to share this seat on the Board with Brazil serving in 2015, Guatemala in 2016 and Brazil in 2017.
(3) The Republic of Korea and China reached an agreement endorsed by the Asia Pacific Group to share this seat on the Board with the Republic of Korea serving in 2015 and China serving on 2016-2017.
(4) Switzerland stepped down effective 1 January 2015. Sweden was endorsed by countries in List D to assume the seat and complete the term from 1 January to 31 December 2015.
(5) The Islamic Republic of Iran is occupying the rotating seat.
The rotating seat is to be occupied by a country of: List B- Second Term- 2015/2016/2017, List A- Third Term- 2018/2019/2020, and List C- Fourth Term- 2021/2022/2023.
(6) Panama and Guatemala reached an agreement to share a seat on the Board with Guatemala serving from 3 March 2015 to 31 December 2015 and Panama serving in 2016 and 2017.