Of the Board's 36 members, 18 are elected by the Economic and Social Council and 18 by the FAO Council. Each State Member serves a three-year term and is eligible for re-election. Elections by the Economic and Social Council are normally held in May and those by the FAO Council in November. The broader WFP membership includes both Board members and observers.
A complete list of State Members may be found in Appendix A of the General Rules and Regulations; a description of the distribution of seats may be found in Appendix B of the same document.
Composition of the Members of the Board in 2016
Elected by the FAO Council
Elected by ECOSOC
Term of office expiring
31 December 2016
Iran (Islamic Republic of) (5)
31 December 2017
United States of America
| 31 December 2018 || |
The Secretariat wishes to take this opportunity to advise the Member States that the Bureau of the Executive Board will be elected at the First Regular Session of the year 2016.
(1) Term of office relates to the standard three-year periods for which Member States are elected by ECOSOC or FAO Council respectively. Member States may stand down for one or two years within this period, offering their seat to another Member State.
(2) Brazil and Guatemala reached an agreement to share the seat filled by the FAO Council elections, with Brazil serving in 2015, Guatemala in 2016 and Brazil in 2017.
(3) Mauritania and Benin reached an agreement to share the seat filled by the FAO Council elections, with Mauritania serving in 2016, and Benin serving in 2017 and 2018.
(4) Mexico, Argentina and Peru reached an agreement to share the seat filled by the FAO Council elections, with Mexico serving in 2016, Argentina in 2017 and Peru in 2018.
(5) The Islamic Republic of Iran is occupying the rotating seat. The rotating seat is to be occupied by a country of: List B- Second Term- 2015/2016/2017, List A- Third Term- 2018/2019/2020, and List C- Fourth Term- 2021/2022/2023.